Monday, April 11, 2016

If you look below you will find I haven't written on this blog for 7 years.....sometimes that seems lifetimes ago and others it seems like it is just yesterday.  There have been several quilts finished in this time and several lost in a house fire 18 months ago, but I will get back to quilts later. 

Primarily I thought I would put the details of my illness and treatment here and keep it off Facebook as much as I can.

On March 24th I had a mammogram...it was a 6 month follow-up for a spot they were watching on the left side.  The afternoon of the 25th they called me to come back in on 29th for some spots they wanted to look at further....that lead to a 3 site biopsy on the 31st and the results of the biopsies were presented to me by a nurse navigator on April 5th.  It was the word no one ever wants to hear and to hear the words "two spots tested malignant" was truly horrible.  It took me a couple of minutes to start listening to the nn again as she was explaining size type and what was next.  The cancer is called ductal cancer...one spot has not spread out of the duct and in that form it is called stage 0 and the other one had spread out of the duct and was 1.9cm and considered stage 1/2....there are things about the tumors on the path report, but the most important will be when they operate and get all the tissue out and see what is in there.  Right now they don't think any lymph nodes are involved, but that could change as they check them during surgery.

I met with the surgeon last week and the oncologist today.  I really connected with both and the oncologist was very positive with the current facts and will be able to tell me more about possible chemo after the surgery.  I meet with the plastic surgeon on Wed. and hopefully will get a surgery date that day or the next. 

I am thankful that God has given so much knowledge about cancer to the doctors for quick and effective treatment, but most of all I know that I will come out of this better and will have more faith that I did before. 
James 1 2-4    Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,
because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

I am just being "refined" again, as my friend Carol MacLeod would say!  (and thank goodness this time it doesn't involved a real fire!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for you Beth, you will come out of this a true champion just like my hero of a sister Stacey! Please know we are only a phone call away, stacey for advice on dealing with breast cancer and me as a professional in the oncology world... The fact that you feel comfortable with your medical team awesome and I have faith that they will use their skills for the best and you will join the ranks of a survivor... Because Stacey was always cool but she's even more incredible with that survivor badge that she earned and I expect you will be the same!

Unknown said...

Sending love and prayers for you and the girls. Just a phone call away day or night.

Unknown said...

Praying for you Beth! Praying that God will give you've peace of mind and that God will give your doctors the knowledge to remove this terrible disease from your body!!!��

Unknown said...

Praying that your faith remains steady and your healing swift.

Unknown said...

Praying that your faith remains steady and your healing swift.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I certainly know how you are feeling at this point!! I was very fortunate that no lymph nodes were involved and I only had radiation...your faith and praying friends will make such a HUGE difference in your recovery!! Pleas know that I am here if you need to talk...I will hold you close in prayer!!! Please keep me updated...love you and your family!!!!

Unknown said...

Praying for you Beth!

Unknown said...

Beth, you are definitely in my prayers. This same news has been given to me by 2 other friends in just the last month. All of you believe in our God who will strengthen us during our trials. You've already faced gut-wrenching circumstances in your life and you have not only survived, but you came out stronger and have been able to help others. I believe you'll be able to come out of this the same way.
I know you have lots of friends and family to help out, but if there is anything I can do for you, please call. (336-978-4356)